Struts MK2

Back in April I built a set of adjustable struts, and I had a few issues with them. Well now I have built another set! This time I have mounted the threaded sleeve much nearer the top of the strut, which will enable me to use a much shorter spring. This will enable me to get springs more easily (I had a problem getting 12" springs), reduce the unsprung weight of the struts, and reduce the chance of spring wobbling about and hitting the shock retention cap.

Here is a picture of the new strut in parts (on the left). Compare with the old strut on the right.



I was limited to how close I could get the threaded sleeve to the shock retention cap because the shock has a flaired section at the top. The flaired section of the strut has to go over this, but then thats too wide for the sleeve!

Also, in order for the shock retention cap to fit in the spring I had to reduce its diameter a little. I did this by fitting the cap in my piller drill, then spinning it while taking material off it with a softpad in the grinder. Its pretty thick so you can take off quite a lot. It flairs out quite a bit at the bottom, so this is where you need to take most off. I also rounded it off, so if the spring does touch it, there is nothing to catch the spring on.

In order to use the top spring cap, I had to use early strut top bearings. The late ones require a deeply dished cap, which would just not work with the caps you get with the sleeves. The springs are 10.5" by 130lbs. This should be the right length, and hopefully the right stiffness, though I can easily change them if need be. The sleeves and springs where sourced from Rally Design, and the yellow bump-stops are from Hoopers here in Bristol.