Separating body and pan

I have now done the following to disconnect the body from the floorpan:

  • Taken out all the bolts down either sill
  • Undone the two at the front on the chassis on the inside.
  • Undone the four behind the battery compartment on the inside
  • The bolts near the rear shocks
  • The four large bolts at the front behind the frame head
  • Undone the centre steering tie-rod at either end This was easier than taking the arm off the steering box
  • Cut the brake fluid pipes feeding the master cylinder
  • Made sure the front flexy brake pipes were disconnected from the body
  • Pulled the speedo cable out of the hub


I then put a jack under the rear valance, and jacked the rear of the body up. The rear jacking points had been tacked to the under sill closing panels, so I sliced them free. However there is something sticking at the front to sort out.

Rust

Well I did it. The bug is definitely off the road now. It is SORNed, so I can't drive it anyway. I have taken all the wings off and there are no nasty surprises waiting for me. All the rust found was what I expected. It will probably need a complete rear quarter as this picture shows.



I have taken the engine out already, then its seats and fuel tank, then I will get the lads round and lift it off the floorpan and put it outside under the car port. I can then get on with the floorpan. In the following pictures you can see the engine out, my new struts in place, and a nice garage scene!